Happy Wednesday! I’m Daneen Baird, founder and editor-in-chief of Spoiled Pretty, an award-winning beauty blog and must-read guide to what’s new, what’s hot, and what’s next. In 2007, I decided to publish product reviews as a way to justify my compulsion for buying cosmetics. But very quickly, I realized that I was providing a valuable service: helping women make informed beauty decisions.
I’ve often said that – even if I was a multi-millionaire – I’d still be clipping coupons and making beelines for clearance racks. Deal-hunting gives me a sense of control in a world full of chaos, so when Jessie asked me to do a guest post for Trend Hungry’s Sale Rack Skinny series, I immediately answered “yes!”
Here are a few of my favorite tips for sealing the deal:
1. QVC may not be as sexy as Sephora, but they have amazing beauty deals – plus products you can’t find anywhere else. QVC partners with some of the hottest brands in the business (Bare Escentuals, Bobbi Brown, Clarisonic, Clinique, Kiehl’s, Make Up For Ever, Philosophy and Smashbox – just to name a few) to offer ‘Beauty Exclusives’ – new products and sets created exclusively for QVC.
2. I love a good spa treatment. But they’re expensive and I hate having nothing to show for them once the treatment is over. Spa Week is a bi-annual event that allows you to enjoy luxurious full-service spa treatments at the finest spas across North America for just $50 each. It’s like Restaurant Week for spas. Genius, right?
3. Whenever I buy online, I do a Google search for promotional/coupon codes and free shipping deals. You’d be surprised by how a few minutes of investigative work can save you a pretty penny.
4. Even after you’ve purchased an item, check back to see if the price goes down. Many stores offer price adjustments within 2 weeks of the sale, which means that you’re entitled to money back! It takes a little effort – like returning to the store or calling the retailer’s customer service number – but you can often buy something cute with the money you’ve saved!
5. Sign up for online sample sale websites like Ideeli, HauteLook, Rue La La and Gilt. They are members-only shopping communities (membership is free) that host daily sales of the most sought-after fashion, home and beauty products. You will be absolutely amazed by the variety of merchandise, and you’ll think you’ve hit the jackpot when you see the selection of luxury items at pauper prices.
ShopStyle has a tool called Sale Alerts that is a godsend for deal-watchers like me. It’s as simple as creating a profile with your favorite designers/brands and the types of items you love – and when they go on sale, you receive an email letting you know to prepare your credit card for a workout.
Here are a few fabulous items that just came up on my ShopStyle sale alerts:
Urban Decay Ocho Loco 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil Set, $59 ($152 value) // Echo Fringed Knit Scarf, $28.50 (orig. $38) // Kendra Scott Sher Blue Agate Earrings, $40.80 (orig. $95) // Prada Infusion d’Iris Gift Set, $80 ($102 value)